Troubleshooting why your phone screen is black and white.
Your phone going black and white can appear in different ways.
- All icons lose their color and only appear in black and white.
- The entire display and every app you open appears only in grayscale.
- The display still has some color, but it looks faded or a light tint of one color.
Each of these behaviors is a symptom of a setting you may have inadvertently set without realizing it. Understanding what settings can cause this behavior will help you get back to normal.
SEE AS WELL: 15 Best Android Apps to Generate Unlimited Wallpapers
Cause of phone screen going black and white
Your icons or your entire phone screen can turn black and white for many reasons. Two of the most common causes are accessibility settings that change screen or icon colors, and power saving mode options.
However, other issues can change the screen colors to black and white. These include hardware failures, faulty operating system updates, or a faulty charger. To restore normal display colors, follow the steps below to reset these settings.
How to Fix When Your Phone Screen Goes Black and White
The following troubleshooting will start with the simplest solution for a black and white phone screen before moving on to more advanced or complex solutions.
- Shut down and restart your phone. Follow the correct procedure to restart your Android phone or tablet. Often, if it’s a software malfunction with your operating system or an application, a simple restart will fix the problem with your screen going black and white.
- Check if you have recently installed any new apps, then uninstall them. Deleting apps from your Android phone will often fix the problem if it just started right after installing a new app. Remember to find and remove all hidden apps on Android.
NOTE: You can verify that an app is causing the black and white screen issue by starting your android in safe mode.
- Try disabling battery saving mode. However, the side effect of a black and white screen when running on low battery with this option enabled is standard on both systems. Disabling it may solve the problem.
- Disable dark mode on your phone. Dark mode on an Android reduces or eliminates the amount of blue light coming from the screen. This feature can make the display appear black and white or nearly black and white.
- Check the settings for levels of Grey . Under Android Accessibility Settings, you will find the setting Levels gray under Screen colors in the menu Vision. If this option is enabled, disable it to see if it fixes your screen color issue.
- Check that you haven’t inverted the colors. The inverted colors setting on Android can be found in the Quick Settings menu. Inverting colors may not make the screen appear black and white on all apps, but if you accidentally enabled this feature, some screens may appear black and white or otherwise unusual for you.
- If you’ve enabled developer mode on your Android, there’s a Color Space option that can switch your screen to black and white.
- If none of the above fixes worked then you might need to send your phone to the manufacturer or a local repair shop for repair.
- How do I change my phone to black and white? On Android and iOS, go to accessibility settings and enable Levels of grey. This feature saves battery power and makes viewing easier on the eyes.
- How do I fix my phone screen flickering? To fix flickering phone screen, update your operating system and apps, then restart the device. Disable auto-brightness and blue light filters, then check the charging cable for damage.