This article explains how to set up an Amazon Fire tablet. Instructions apply to all Fire tablet models.
How do I set up an Amazon Fire tablet?
You need a Wi-Fi connection to set up your Fire tablet, so make sure you’re within range of a network you can access. You also need an Amazon account, but if you don’t have one, you can create an account on your device.
The options you see may vary depending on the generation of your Fire tablet, but the process is basically the same on all devices.
1. Before turning on your tablet, make sure it is fully charged. Plug it in and keep an eye on the battery indicator. Once charged, press and hold the buttonfeed to turn on your device.
2. Choose your preferred language and font size, then press Continue.
3. Choose your Wi-Fi network and enter the password to connect. Your Fire tablet will automatically download any updates it needs.
4. Log in to your Amazon account or tap start here to create a new one.
5. If your Amazon account has backed up data from a previous Fire tablet, you can tap Restore to load all your old apps. Otherwise, press Do not restore to start with the default settings.
6. Review the features and uncheck the ones you don’t want, then tap Continue.
7. Watch a brief introductory video, then choose which profiles associated with your Amazon account will use the device. If you include a child profile, you will be prompted to enter a passcode or PIN for the lock screen.
8. You may receive offers for Amazon services such as Goodreads, Prime, and Kindle Unlimited. You can always sign up for these services later, so decline to proceed with the setup.
9. Next, Amazon will recommend content such as movies, apps, and games. Select the items you want to download or tap Not now to continue.
10. You will then be guided through setting up the Alexa voice assistant. Press on Accept and continueor choose Disable Alexathen press Continue.
11. Press To end to access the home screen of your Fire tablet. Close all pop-up windows, then you are ready to start using your device.
Can you set up a Fire tablet without an Amazon account?
You cannot use a Fire tablet without an Amazon account. If you don’t have one, you can create an Amazon account when you set up your device.
What should I do after setting up my Fire tablet?
If you did not create a password when setting up your device, go to Settings > Security and Privacy > Access code tolock Screen. If your child is going to use the device, you also need to set up Parental Controls on your Fire tablet. To control your smart home devices, such as Amazon Echo or Echo Show, use the Alexa app for Fire tablets.
If you have any questions or suggestions, let us know in the comments. Also check this guide if you want to learn how to install the Google Play Store on Amazon Fire.